• Tuesday night's Democratic presidential debate included three women and seven men, Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren; Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders; South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg; Ohio Congressman Tim Ryan; Former Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper; Montana Governor Steve Bullock; Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar; Former Texas Congressman Beto O'Rourke; Former Maryland Congressman John Delaney; Author Marianne Williamson.
• Healthcare emerged as the most important issue. Candidates debated over endorsing â€˜Medicare for All' against carrying forward the Affordable Care Act. The topic was debated for about 20 minutes with Tim Ryan and John Delaney arguing that it would have an adverse effect on the service class by taking their employer-sponsored health benefits.
• Candidates also had different views on how to handle the US-Mexico border. Pete Buttigieg and Beto O'Rourke suggested policies to improve the existing systems, but agreed that crossings would remain illegal.
• Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders made a point that families arriving at the border must not be criminalized. Tim Ryan argued that such proposals would only encourage people to cross the border illegally.
• Candidates also took up racism, specifically the issue of reparations for the descendants of slaves. Beto O'Rourke and author Marianne Williamson were in favor. Williamson described it as "a debt that is owed."
• All candidates agreed on issues including climate change, dark money in politics, and gun violence.
• All candidates were also united in their opposition to Trump. â€œDonald Trump disgraces the office of president every single day, and anyone on this stage tonight or tomorrow night would be a far better president,â€ Warren said.
• In terms of speaking time, Warren and Sanders led with 15 minutes and 14 minutes respectively and Hickenlooper and Williamson spoke the least, with 6 minutes and 5 minutes respectively. This includes crosstalk and interruptions
inutes and 14 minutes respectively and Hickenlooper and Williamson spoke the least, with 6 minutes and 5 minutes respectively. This includes crosstalk and interruptio